Music Banter - View Single Post - How did you choose your username?
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2013, 07:07 PM   #137 (permalink)
Paul Smeenus
David Hasselhoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffy Kittens View Post
How did the name come about mate?

I was hanging out with a crazy pack of metalheads, these guys:

That whole crowd, the men and the women (who were almost entirely strippers, we were after all in the strip club capital of the US, Portland OR) were all extremely wild and openly sexual. Every one and I mean every SINGLE one of those people had boinked someone in common with any other one of those people, with one glaring, uberconspicuous exception, me. I was SO timid compared to everyone else, the main thing I had in common with them was a. music appreciation, and b. drinking. Heavy emphasis on that last one. I was a raging alcoholic and could literally pound down beer as fast as you could pour it into a sink.

So one of the members of that entourage (who quite ironically was famously under endowed, much much less so than myself, not that ANYONE ever actually saw me) figured out that Paul Smeenus made for a pretty amusing spoonerism (although they didn't know there was a word describing that type of play-on-words) and called me that at a party. Everybody there fell over laughing, I was humiliated and mortified at first but I came to realize that it was meant with love and I couldn't overlook the fact that it was an extremely clever nickname. It stuck, and ever since George Sr. was President I've been known as Smeenus.

And no, I never did get laid in that crowd. And as to whether or not there's any truth to it, I'll never say.
Gentle Giant Catalog Review

The entire Ditty Bops catalog reviewed

Last edited by Paul Smeenus; 07-13-2013 at 09:33 PM.
Paul Smeenus is offline   Reply With Quote