Music Banter - View Single Post - Marilyn Manson
Thread: Marilyn Manson
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2013, 03:52 AM   #246 (permalink)
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMS View Post
He definitely should have retired when the buzz waned. The thing is -- how can you shock the public anymore? You have to go into really despicable territory to shock this desensitized generation.
That's exactly my point... his persona hasn't aged well. He should have retired or maybe tried to keep up with his original fans by changing his act. As it is he keeps trying to be down with the times but ends up being a caricature of himself. Most people I know just think he's weird with maybe a couple of songs that they like, if that. Aside from teenagers who think he's edgy or something.

I don't think that we're a desensitized generation. What I do think is that he keeps trying to do what he did in the beginning even though things stop being shocking after the first time you've done them. He hasn't changed his act to appeal more to a younger set of listeners and hasn't tried to mature a bit to keep up with his older fans. In my opinion he's also rather gimmicky, his musical is nothing that outstanding and his fame is more based on shocking 90s parents.
#000000 is offline   Reply With Quote