Music Banter - View Single Post - The Pros And Cons Of Modern Ska
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2004, 07:02 AM   #13 (permalink)
Prince Burridge
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChN1
hi both, if i can come into the conversation, i have the feeling there's a "3rd wave of ska" in the 90's, taht's the revival we're in, and it's true some of the bands inside are just rock-punky bands with a saxophone; especially in France where i'm from there's a revival of reggae ska music at the moment, with several "options", more rock like "La Ruda Salska" and more "Roots" like "Jim Murple Memorial".
For the US part i wouldn't call bands like Slackers and Hepcat "lack depth, feeling and power", even if they cannot be called "first generation" either...
the third wave of Ska is very linked here with all protestation movements, against the war, against globalization, G8, GMO, against Bush... well it's sort of a generation with strong feelings of freedom and what links them is more the claim in lyrics than the roots of Ska, that explains how some bands are called ska for just including a trumpet in the band...
So i'd rather classify the bands by the feeling of ska they have than by year. Lend an ear to "Jim Murple Memorial" and you'll know Rootska's not dead

hope i'm clear, forgive my english as it's not my mother tongue
ChN1

Hi ChN1

When I said a lot of modern ska is shallow, I was referring to the music rather than the lyrics. A band could have very meaningful lyrics but the music could still be shallow.

I don't like to bring ethnicity into it, but one of the things I love about ska is its 'Afro-Caribbeanness' (though I am white myself). Most of the modern ska bands are white, and therefore don't have direct experience of Afro-Caribbean life, and maybe this is reflected in their playing. I would also say that those among the modern bands who are inspired by second wave ska take their cue too much from Madness. They would perhaps do better to pay more attention to other second wave bands such as The Specials, Bad Manners, The Beat, The Selecter and The Bodysnatchers (all of whom sounded more 'Caribbean' than Madness).

I'm not saying all modern ska bands are crap. Some such as The Splittters (a British band) and the Mighty Mighty Bosstones are brilliant. Even ska-punk is growing on me. It's just that usually, when I listen to a CD of modern ska, I end up feeling disappointed.

Prince Burridge
Prince Burridge is offline   Reply With Quote