Music Banter - View Single Post - Earthlings (The Film)
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2013, 07:05 PM   #46 (permalink)
Honey and Salt
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolverinewolfweiselpigeon View Post
I'm referring to the entire thread.

So, ok, my two cents. The thing is, I don't think you should just generalize and say that anyone who isn’t a vegetarian or vegan is actively contributing to animal torture. It’s not that simple, and as much as I wish you could, you can’t just tell people what to do with their lives and use scare tactics as justification. I think that the issue is more a matter of access to information and resources. Personally, my life philosophy does not allow me to eat meat and I am 99% vegan – I say 99% because it would be absolutely deluded and hypocritical of me to claim otherwise as I am typing this on a laptop and earlier today drank a Bloody Mary that I later learned was made with Guinness.

There is absolutely classism and abelism at play when you make such statements, OP, and no matter how right you are or how righteous your cause, you should try to acknowledge and understand that. Better yet, be productive and present the information in a way that does just that: presents the information. Don't bring morality into it on such a large scale until you can be sure your audience is - and is able to be - on the same page.

I don't know. This shouldn't be a combative topic.

EDIT: Further, I think that part of the human experience is the realization that existence in itself requires a tangible amount of suffering imposed on other existing beings. There is no escaping it, so the best you can do is educate your peers and do your best to reduce that amount of suffering that you impose personally as much as is possible.
I think Phantom did just that. He just was suggesting a film. It wasn't until debate began that people began taking sides and arguing. That's life. There's no perfect way of communication, however, I feel pretty confident in my words and my arguement.

You're right, this should not have been combative. But it is was and will be. As I said prior, my statements were concrete and didn't subject anyone for any other reason than maybe ignorance or lack of proper debate. Eat animals, do not eat animals. Either way, we're passionate aboutour lifestyle and the preservation of innocent life. How one wants to take that is strictly up to their perception and coping skills.

Jamata!
Honey and Salt is offline   Reply With Quote