Music Banter - View Single Post - Which genre hurt rock music in general more?
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2013, 08:05 PM   #32 (permalink)
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer View Post
That is really good insight my friend. I agree, there are some good rock bands out there, but most of them just seem like they are still in the experimentation phase and evolving musically.
I will be bold and predict that a new scene and sound is on the verge of breaking out. (Wishing and hoping for the best anyway).
You're probably right. Scenes come and go in waves.

I also think it's a matter of demographics. Teenage listeners are big market and if you look at it, in the late 90s there was a bit of a lull in rock music that appealled to them (my impression is that most major rock bands in the late 90s were things that appealled to university age or older crowds). Then in the mid-00s, even casual listeners who didn't strongly identify with a specific scene started buying more rock music again due to the "emo" wave. Just looking at specific artists on officialcharts.com some bands from that era hit the top 10 in album sales.

Nowadays... how much mainstream rock is there that can appeal to the average older listener? Little. To teenagers? Even less.
#000000 is offline   Reply With Quote