Music Banter - View Single Post - Earthlings (The Film)
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2013, 08:25 PM   #49 (permalink)
Engine
air quote

I don't feel that anything that has been said in this thread is "wrong" and just about everybody has made some really good points. Even dj saying he would torture animals - all that means is that he's willing to work in a slaughterhouse or other animal farming facility. Also, I don't think anybody's points of info are necessarily in opposition to each other. Rather, the collection of information and reasoning that has been posted here reflects reality.

For me the two points below are especially important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Limb View Post
Secondly, no one ever claimed to be completely removed from animal cruelty. I said I was trying. Two very different statements. And yes, I do have products that were made from animals, but is it bad for me to try not to buy animal products?

Thirdly, no one ever said that they were better than anyone else. And no, I don't actively participate in the reduction of human torture/trafficking, but I also don't actively participate in aiding human torture/trafficking. If I had a realistic means to reduce human torture/trafficking I would, just like how I have a realistic means to reduce animal torture and do.
I have been a vegetarian for over 20 years and was strictly vegan for some of those. It's tough for a person trying to be vegan to grapple with the notion that there is no way to live in modern society without using things that have animal parts in them. In the end, what's important is that people try their best to do right by their own morals and beliefs. That is, do as much as you can while realizing that you can't do it all, or ever completely fix what you see as a problem with the world. It doesn't have to be an all or nothing situation.

The way I see it, anybody who does anything at all for the sake of something they believe is right is doing the right thing, regardless of what they are not doing.

PS - It's definitely true that cats should not be vegetarian (dogs either in my opinion but they can at least survive it, unlike cats).