Music Banter - View Single Post - What Game Are You Playing Right Now?
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2013, 07:31 AM   #5847 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by duga View Post
Yeah, I can understand the gripes if you don't like the long cutscenes and complicated story... But like I said, I actually like that stuff. Even the original MGS had a lot of dialogue... There probably would have been more if Hideo could have fit them on the discs (after all... It was 2 discs for an 8 hour game). Still, even if you didn't like that I think the gameplay mechanics for Guns of the Patriots are the best... The octocamo thing was genius and made the whole thing very smooth.

There's still plenty of story in Peace Walker, but I think you'll probably like it because its toned down a lot (but again... Probably just because Hideo couldn't fit anymore onto a PSP disc). My only complaint about that one is the missions got a bit repetitive. You definitely need to play it before 5 comes out, though... It sets up a great deal.
The MGS series in many ways mirrors the Resident Evil games, which from a basic storyline turns into a OTT complex storyline that probably even confuses the game's designers. You're certainly right about the MGS and its limitations with discs, it was quite a few years later when Sons of Liberty came out on the PS2.

Also I'm looking forward to reading the two digital interactive comics which came with the games and had previously only been released in Japan based on MGS and Sons of Liberty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aperture Science View Post
I know i'm a bit late to this: But i LOVE the MGS series. The original for the PSX is one of my favorite games of all time. So revolutionary and ahead of its time. I still play it to this day, and can recite a lot of the dialogue from memory. Also James Flinders/Cam Clarke's voice is so sexy.

I've also played 2 and 3. Of those two, I really appreciated 3 for the direction they took the gameplay, and the complex story, that tied in really well with history. Even if some of the bosses were a bit over the top cartoonish, I still loved some of them, like the Sorrow and the Boss. In fact, while MGS1 may be my favorite. 3 has my favorite ending. If I watch that ending, more likely than not I'll cry.
The MGS bosses have always been a bit like super villain type enemies from a Marvel of DC comic.
If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote