Music Banter - View Single Post - Classic Gaming Appreciation
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2013, 06:05 PM   #30 (permalink)
Aperture Science
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychedub Dude View Post
-djchamelon

Yeah Mutant League was weird as hell haha, but it was mad fun. I remember playing Blitz on 64 mad long ago. It was great. It reminded me of NBA Jam in a way, I used to play that so much man. So good.

As for Chrono Trigger, it was packaged as Final Fantasy Chronicles along with Final Fantasy IV, which is probably the best damn FF game ever.. My favorite story line in the series, at least.

-Aperture Science

Yeah dude Majoras Mask is definitely under rated. The whole time concept was crazy, it gave the whole game a sense of urgency to it.

It was also really cool getting to be the different races with the masks and how they all played a different instrument when you used the ocarina, always loved that. I used to space out and just jam on the different instruments haha Goron Link was sick nasty at the bongos

-Circe

Hmm, I was originally thinking anything during and before the psone,N64 era last but last console generation(ps2,xbox,gamecube) is fair game, even though they may not be considered classics yet. I would definitely say though that a lot of games from that era are classics in their own right.

Majora's Mask is OBSCENELY underrated, and here's why. 1) and this can't be stated enough..it had the unfortunate task of following up Ocarina of Freakin' time. That's a goddamn tough act to follow. I suspect that's how FFVIII felt.

Naturally, I remember people were looking for things to complain about. "It's not Ocarina of time" was what the arguments boiled down to. In reality, what you heard was "it's too hard (it may have been a little bit less straightforward than OOT, but after all, it is a kids game..cmon, you can figure it out), the time system is dumb (again, bs. I think that added a really interesting and creative dynamic to the story, and is part of what makes the game work so well), "it's too short" (Yes, there are only four temples, but there was a lead-in to all four..and sometimes those were as time consuming as actual dungeons. Ocarina's "lead in" was "buy a tunic" or "Get an item" which took approximately .2 seconds. I'd argue, with the lead ins, the side-quests (I'll get more into that in a sec) that they were about even, Majora's Mask might even be longer.

Replayability. Ocarina had shiit for sidequests, and in-town games. The sword, bottles, a couple masks, maybe two games in-town, and the skulltulas..that's about it. Majora had so many more sidequests, better stories relating to those quests. Not to mention in-town games, and races, and such. There was so much more to do.

And the last, and in my opinion, one of the biggest thing adding to the replay..was the ability to re-play dungeons (cool if you didn't get all the fairies, otherwise, not as cool I guess), and REPLAY BOSSES. (Very cool)

This isn't meant to dump all over Ocarina.. I love it to death. But [I]Majora's Mask was a step up in almost every way conceivable from its predecessor..minus maybe the recycling characters and models.

It proved a Zelda game can deviate from the usual Mario-type story "save the princess from the evil man, get laid, etc" It was darker, grittier, in a lot of places, much more sad. It's amazing how they crafted a whole unique new world/experience using so much of the same from the last game.

And yes, I'd argue some of the games from the early ps2/gc/microsoftpaperweight era are classic

Grand Theft Auto III - a game that should get way more credit than it does. Sure the story was simple, sure the main character was a mute, sure there were no motorcycles or helicopters, but at least it wasn't a giant scarface ripoff like Vice City. Plus, it lunged the GTA series into 3d, the way Mario 64 did with Mario, and was the template for all future GTA games to come. Credit where it's due plz

Metal Gear Solid 2 & 3

Smash Bros Melee

just to name a handful. I've gone on way too long already

okbye

http://www.file-cabinet.co.uk/lastfm...ifthofnovember
Aperture Science is offline   Reply With Quote