Music Banter - View Single Post - Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2013, 12:41 PM   #332 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ears View Post
Heart had two excellent musicians in Roger Fisher and Howard Leese. They made three more good albums until Fisher fell out with Nancy Wilson. He departed for Alias and they were never the same again, despite Leese being a talented multi-instrumentalist. Leese worked with Paul Rodgers and was really great with Mick Ralphs in the reformed Bad Co. Dreamboat Annie is my favourite Heart album.
To be fair I never liked the rest of the early Heart albums as much as the debut, despite the fact that they had some very good songs. If truth be told I liked their 80s stuff even more, such as the very commercial Bad Animals album.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screen13 View Post
I remember this one, as well as a few of the band's US hits. They were pretty popular with the Head First album on my side of the pond, but when 1980 rolled around, they were starting the slide down with the Union Jacks album which at least included the Detroit FM Radio hit "Midnight Rendezvous".

Doing some Detroit Drive In research recently, I came across an article in The Detroit News on their first Detroit gig that was not well reviewed. The writer said that the talent was there, especially sighting Waite's singing, but it sounded generic.

I came across their final album, On the Edge, mainly for it being from 1980 and Produced by Keith Olsen (Ex-Music Machine turned super producer). It was more on the energetic Pop side of things with a couple of nice tracks although you could hear the band about to go by that time. I also got (for 25 cents) Waite's Ignition album just to hear what it sounded like while the original image aimed for some kind of MTV-centric Pop stardom that happened with the next album.
The band changed their sound after Mike Corby went and when Jonathan Cain arrived the band was even more geared up for the US market. They kind of went from a 1970s melodic hard rock band to a slicker radio friendly sound. As I mentioned earlier both John Waite and Jonathan Cain were homing their skills for their future projects.
If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote