Music Banter - View Single Post - Classic Albums I have never heard
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2013, 12:05 PM   #128 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Title: Exodus
Artiste: Bob Marley and the Wailers
Year: 1977
Chronological position: Ninth album
Previous experience of this artiste?: Just the singles: not a big reggae fan
Why is this considered a classic? Apparently he was almost assassinated in Jamaica and left to go to London, where he recorded this album, I guess you could say, in exile. It's supposed to be one of his greatest works, and certainly has a lot of hit singles on it. It's said to be the one that made him an international star, outside of his home island.

My thoughts
One minute (or thereabouts in) ---- Good, great, bad, meh, still waiting or other? Great
One track in --- Great
Halfway through --- Great
Finished --- Great

Comments: As I say, I'm no fan of reggae. To me it's always sounded a little plodding and samey, but I guess I can't really comment as Marley's singles and the odd UB40 track are about all I've ever heard. What really annoyed me, and didn't exactly get me off on the right foot, was how hard this album was to find! For a classic I would not have thought it would have been so scarce online. Spotify hadn't got it, but they had about ninety greatest hits-type albums, and I eventually found it hidden away on Grooveshark without a cover! Of course, later on I find I can get the whole thing on YouTube! Gaahh! Anyway...

This starts off nicely with a cool little instrumental, and of course there are tracks on it I'll know, since they were big chart singles, but it's more the unknown (to me) material that I'm interested in. Mostly it's pretty good, though I wouldn't say I'm having any spiritual revelations or that it's going to suddenly turn me on to reggae. But quite enjoyable and listenable.

Favourite track(s): Natural mystic, The heathen, Exodus, Turn your lights down low and the singles, of course
Least favourite track(s): Meh, nothing I'd class as bad really at all.

Final impression --- Pretty good album, though it hasn't changed my mind about reggae. Yet.

Do I feel, at the end, A) I wish I had listened to this sooner
B) I'm sorry I bothered
C) I might end up liking this
D) Have to wait and see
E) Bit underwhelmed; was ok but a classic?
F) Definitely enjoyed it, but again would I consider it a classic?

Probably C I guess.