Music Banter - View Single Post - Powerstar's Thought-Filled Barf Of Musicalness
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2013, 09:12 PM   #61 (permalink)
Powerstars
Music Addict

Review #017 - "Memory Almost Full" by Paul McCartney
Year: 2007
Genre: Rock
Right off the bat, I didn't have terribly high expectations for this. I mean, a musician who was popular in his 20's and 30's tends not to be as good in his '60s. I mean, I wouldn't say Paul McCartney would make a cash-in, but certainly there must be some sort of loss of quality, right? Then I dug a bit deeper. The year before this album came out, Paul divorced Heather Mills and it's widely known among the Beatles fandom that his previous studio album, released in 2005, had many themes of the breakup in progress. Will this album have similar themes? More importantly, will it be any good?

1. Dance Tonight
So, by the sound of the first single, this may in fact by a cash-in. Mandolin based pop song with no real heart to it. I can't say it's not catchy though.

2. Ever Present Past
Another more poppy effort, but it's a lot more meaningful. This is more of a keyboard-based thing and is a bit less light-hearted in tone.

3. See Your Sunshine
Did...Paul McCartney just write a sex song? Tis a good song, but I can't say it stands out in the grand scheme of things.

4. Only Mama Knows
We start with a lush string arrangement which morphs into a surprisingly hard rocking song by McCartney's standards. It's the first real standout of the album and takes it out of it's poppy, but bland slump. This one really does rock and was worth the wait.

5. You Tell Me
A beautiful, well orchestrated ballad about Paul's former wife Linda McCartney. Although, I really do have to mention that it does sound laughable at times when he tries to go falsetto.

6. Mr. Bellamy
This one has some jazzy piano and a rather dark tone. Paul hits some of the lowest notes of his vocal range as well as some repetitively high ones. It's a cool, almost jazzy effort and I can dig that.

7. Gratitude
Another attempt at pop. He strains his voice too much. Let's move on...

8. Vintage Clothes
This one is part '70s-style rock and part electronic-ambient. Yes, really. Lyrics are odd. Who cares that you wear vintage clothes? BTW, this also marks the start of a mini-medley on the album in the same vein as the famous Abbey Road medley.

9. That Was Me
Kinda a blues-rock, country-rock vibe on this one. The highlight is definitely the guitar solo where Paul sings along.

10. Feet In The Clouds
Decent, but I can't say it was memorable or stood out. Who knows, maybe it'll grow on me?

11. House Of Wax
Starting with a dramatic piano riff, we end up with a dramatic, almost power ballad. He's obviously getting some sort of anger out with this one. Also, props to McCartney's guitarist Rusty, the solo was excellent.

12. The End Of The End
We slow things down for the final song of the medley. It's deeply heartfelt, involving how McCartney doesn't want people to be sad when he died. I must say, as a huge Beatles fan, this almost drove me to tears. But wait, much like the Abbey Road medley, there's one more song.

13. Nod Your Head
Only certain musicians can make cheesy crap like this sound so epic. How does Paul do it? He turns up the distortion for a short, sweet final song that really closes things up well.

Conclusion: The first 3 tracks left me with something of a bad impression that was quickly lifted. However, many of the tracks I found to be rather mediocre. The thing that kept this album for being a mediocre piece of fluff were the standout tracks like "Only Mama Knows," "The End Of The End," and "Nod Your Head."

Final Score: 70/100 (Paul's still got it)