Music Banter - View Single Post - Pro-Life or Pro-Choice?
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2013, 04:25 PM   #34 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

I'm Pro Situational. If it's a health risk or otherwise unreasonable for a woman to carry a child to term, by all means. I'll even go so far to say that I support pretty much any reason, assuming the kid couldn't survive outside of the womb by the time of the procedure, which would be rather sadistic if carried out, although I would hope a responsible person wouldn't let it get that far unless they found out about a health risk too late. In which case, again, situational.

However, I don't agree with the approach regarding "I can do what I want with my body" that seems to be pervasive in women's rights movements. At some point, it's not just your body, just as it isn't your body if you kill your 2 year old child (I'm not sure how to sugar-coat ending someone's life). Whatever arbitrary line we draw between conception and "life" is not for me to say, but it's pretty obvious that it has to be drawn somewhere, which I'm sure most of us agree with, and I'm pretty sure we already have laws for it.

While I won't outright disagree with a woman's decision to terminate for any reason prior to that arbitrary line, I do feel as though there should be some expectation of responsibility involved, rather than advancing an agenda that seems to either absolve people of personal responsibility or, on the other hand, deny the decision outright.
This is why I support easy access to contraception and morning-after pills, which I definitely think should be sold over the counter, and even covered on insurance for free.

The right seems to think that we can legislate personal responsibility, and that's definitely a bad assumption. People will make mistakes, and some of us will be outright irresponsible. I think it's important to make it easier for people to then rectify the issue without having to resort to abortion first. And I think it's completely wrong to both place further restrictions on abortion while not accommodating the sort of preventative measures that would make abortion a less relied upon method to begin with, which is what the right seems to be doing.

No one WANTS to have an abortion. They don't go out getting pregnant so they can get an abortion. So if the right wants less abortions, then they should be advocating for more and better access to preventative measures, instead of flinching at policies that would do just that.

I'm all for using my tax dollars to support methods that would, in many cases, not end up with the need for abortion in the first place.