Music Banter - View Single Post - Pro-Life or Pro-Choice?
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2013, 08:59 PM   #40 (permalink)
Stephen
I sleep in your hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Simply because while pro-lifers are ALWAYS of the opinion that abortion is wrong, pro-choicers do NOT ALWAYS say abortion is the way. Nobody's advocating abortion, not in all cases, but p/c means you have the CHOICE. Doesn't mean you HAVE to have an abortion, just that you CAN have one if you CHOOSE.
Fair enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebase Dali View Post
However, I don't agree with the approach regarding "I can do what I want with my body" that seems to be pervasive in women's rights movements. At some point, it's not just your body, just as it isn't your body if you kill your 2 year old child (I'm not sure how to sugar-coat ending someone's life).
My problem with the question of 'choice' is that having seen my own children at 8 weeks on ultrasounds and my niece born prematurely weighing just 550g I can't remove that emotional imprinting from the equation when I consider the question of whether it is someone's right to get an abortion 20 weeks into a pregnancy. I always felt it was a valid choice but my experiences as a father have reframed the question irrevocably. I came to a point where it just seemed like a ridiculously spineless position to take of "Yeah sure you have the right to end that life." Before people start with the sanctimonious tirades obviously you have the legal right to make your own decisions. I am merely stating the reasons for my own personal position on the 'choice'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebase Dali View Post
This is why I support easy access to contraception and morning-after pills, which I definitely think should be sold over the counter, and even covered on insurance for free.
Those are choices I support 100%.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote