Music Banter - View Single Post - Pro-Life or Pro-Choice?
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2013, 10:02 PM   #41 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Fair enough.

My problem with the question of 'choice' is that having seen my own children at 8 weeks on ultrasounds and my niece born prematurely weighing just 550g I can't remove that emotional imprinting from the equation when I consider the question of whether it is someone's right to get an abortion 20 weeks into a pregnancy. I always felt it was a valid choice but my experiences as a father have reframed the question irrevocably. I came to a point where it just seemed like a ridiculously spineless position to take of "Yeah sure you have the right to end that life." Before people start with the sanctimonious tirades obviously you have the legal right to make your own decisions. I am merely stating the reasons for my own personal position on the 'choice'.
I've never had any kids. My perspective is one not attached to personal emotion, however, I still can't help but see the actual logic involved with whether an unborn child is considered a sentient life form or not. A potential person, or argued differently, an actual human in the making (unless we're defining humans as "those who have exited a vagina") is still being killed (Or... "gently prevented from existing", if that sounds better) in the procedure.
The obvious separation here is the line society draws between the acceptability of termination and the unacceptability of it, based on what we dictate via the arbitrary line we've come to accept.

While I don't disagree with the decision to terminate as a whole, I would definitely hope that this is less of a "women's rights" thing, and more of a human decency thing, whether it's more decent and necessary for the mother to abort, or allow the child to live. That's all I'm saying.