Music Banter - View Single Post - Best Ex-Beatle's Work?
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2013, 10:21 PM   #14 (permalink)
ribbons
Music Addict

I picked George due to All Things Must Pass, which is not only my favorite solo ex-Beatle album but one of my favorite albums of all time (excluding the Apple Jam third disc). That record led me down so many meaningful, unexpected pathways in life. And I love George's slide guitar playing on it -- can never get tired of that sound. Second for me would be Paul's melodic gem RAM, even if it's a bit whimsical and silly in parts, the melodies, arrangements and song structures are largely superb. As for John, Plastic Ono Band is often regarded as his best work and I do like it but have a hard time warming up to that album. It's one of those albums I respect more than play. Maybe I can't take its nearly unrelenting anger and cynicism, although it does have its tender moments. My favorite John album is Mind Games; spotty and echo-laden as it may be, there are some great tunes on there such as title track, "Intuition", "Out The Blue" and "I Know (I Know)".

I can cherrypick so many solo ex-Beatles songs I absolutely LOVE, even among their less than stellar releases.
ribbons is offline   Reply With Quote