Music Banter - View Single Post - Pro-Life or Pro-Choice?
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2013, 02:46 AM   #46 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

I am pro choice, perhaps more than most. I think as long as we're largely talking about a lump of cells, completely dependent on its connection with the mothers body and generally lacking in capacity to suffer for the decisions made by its mother, then it's up to the mother if she wants to abort. Parents who argue the pro-life angle because of experiences with their own children often have the wrong perspective, I think. These lumps simply are not walking, talking children and just because they can be doesn't mean we should treat them as. You can't know for sure what these fetuses can or can't be so why base your choice in this matter on those kind of assumptions?

Arguing what's better for society, I don't think that wanting to abort is harmful to society or otherwise symptomatic for criminals. Hence, I don't think we will do society a favour by spending more money on stopping these women from getting their wishes. Someone who gets an abortion today may still have chidren in the future; a child she and perhaps her partner can support and who is wanted and/or healthy.

So it seems to me abortion can factor into giving us us freedom of choice, happier families and a healthier populace. A question to pro-lifers then, what does prohibiting abortion give us? And if someone has an illegal abortion, what does society gain from punishing that person? Having an abortion often comes with guilt and regret. Isn't that enough?