Music Banter - View Single Post - Pro-Life or Pro-Choice?
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2013, 03:12 AM   #48 (permalink)
John Wilkes Booth
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by tore View Post
I am pro choice, perhaps more than most. I think as long as we're largely talking about a lump of cells, completely dependent on its connection with the mothers body and generally lacking in capacity to suffer for the decisions made by its mother, then it's up to the mother if she wants to abort. Parents who argue the pro-life angle because of experiences with their own children often have the wrong perspective, I think. These lumps simply are not walking, talking children and just because they can be doesn't mean we should treat them as.
Take a close look at the criteria you're listing here. None of it really differentiates a fetus from other humans in all of their various (illegal to kill) forms and stages, other than the 'dependent on the connection to the mother' one. Of course, you still have to explain why the fetus not being independent makes it ok to kill.

As an aside, I think that the tendency to use terms like "lump of cells" points to an attempt at emotional detachment from the pro-choice angle. It's not a rational argument, just an attempt to dehumanize the thing we'd like to kill.
John Wilkes Booth is offline   Reply With Quote