Music Banter - View Single Post - Pro-Life or Pro-Choice?
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2013, 02:54 PM   #58 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by tore View Post
I know well what fetuses look like as I've seen plenty at different stages of development. We had them in jars in the university.

Regarding when it should be okay to abort, it's a difficult question. Many things could or should factor into it, like how developed the fetus/baby is and how early you can test your baby for certain medical conditions. For example, a test may reveal that your baby is doomed to a short life of misery due to some sickness, but you could only get that test in week 14. If you were to base a limit on that, perhaps 16 weeks would be a reasonable limit. At earliest, you'd get the test done at week 14, a few days to get the results and a week or so to get the procedure done.

In Norway, the current limit is 12 weeks so within the first 12 weeks is what I generally relate to when I think of abortions. You can get it done later, but then you need special permission. Merely not wanting a child may not be good enough past 12 weeks. Two doctors will review your case and give the final answer. At a glance, it seems like a good system.
Your system is obviously better than California's.

I don't have the stats, but from what I remember, the leading reason behind abortion in the states is that the mother does not want a child at that time. At the very bottom of the stats, the reason is for the health of the mother.
I don't know at which stage in the pregnancy those stats are relevant to, however I think it's important to acknowledge that in a place where a fetus can be aborted up to 24 weeks for any reason at all, there is a likelihood that some relevant portion is near enough to that limit.

Again, I'm not anti-abortion/pro-life. I do think it's a little more than messed up that someone can abort at 24 weeks for any reason they wish, but honestly, I'm more concerned with getting the appropriate preventative and contraceptive measures in place and freely available so that there's less of a need for such lengths in the first place, regardless of reason.