Music Banter - View Single Post - kendrick lamar
Thread: kendrick lamar
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2013, 12:26 PM   #147 (permalink)
The Big Dog

You guys have got to be kidding me, I have no idea how you can hate it. The concept's solid, it's a cautionary tale of peer pressure, environment and the consequences of being something you're not.
The production's some of the best on any record in recent times, Kendrick's rapping is tight and his stories provoke imagery and emotions in me at least.

At first I wasn't overly struck, I felt it was too long and the cutaway's were stupid but after a few listens, it grew on me like no other album. Everything serves a purpose, everything contributes towards the overall product. The more I hear it, the more I love it. It's an album I can play, sit back and get put into Kendrick's shoes. I'm taken from wherever I happen to be and plopped right there in the middle of what's going on in his life. It's a powerful piece that can do that. I feel he's the best storyteller in rap since a young Nas was dropping Illmatic and It Was Written. In my eyes, it is the masterpiece some are touting it as. A special, special album.

I just think it's ironic that when Kendrick was getting mainstream attention and seeing commercial success, this forum turned against him. There's no way people are hating on this album because it's devoid of quality, it isn't. It was by far the greatest album released last year and possibly one of the all time great hip-hop albums.
14232949 is offline   Reply With Quote