Music Banter - View Single Post - kendrick lamar
Thread: kendrick lamar
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2013, 01:14 PM   #153 (permalink)
The Big Dog

There's no way Ice Cube and Kendrick's stories are similar. Ice Cube was a gimmick, he was the Rick Ross of his time albeit with far superior skills, but there was little truth in his stories. Kendrick's honest and comes across as self effacing.

The production's boring? You're kidding me, in my eyes the layering and depth of the production is some of the finest we've been treated to in recent times. There are sounds inside of sounds and everything comes perfectly together, nothing's overbearing, nothing's minimalistic, as Radiohead said everything's in it's right place.

I liked Channel ORANGE as well, but it's went the opposite way with me over time (Initially loved it, went to just liking it) I mean aside from the sublime Pyramids which is far and away the greatest individual track of last year, Lost and Pink Matter -mainly Andre 3k's verse- ; the rest is good, but not great. Do you honestly believe that Super Rich Kids is more lyrically engaging and tells a better story than Money Trees. Or that Sweet Life resonates more with you on a level of relevance and relatability in terms of storytelling and narrative than Swimming Pools? I struggle to believe that.

As for Channel ORANGE getting passed over?!?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/m...-of-polls.html

Best albums of 2012, No 1: Frank Ocean

Album of the Year: Frank Ocean's 'channel ORANGE' | SPIN | Profiles

Inside the Album of the Year: Frank Ocean ‘Channel Orange’ « CBS Boston

Don't know where you're getting that from Surrell, R&B's is the most important and significant it's been since MJ in his prime, due in part to the likes of Frank Ocean, The Weeknd, Jeremih, Miguel etc. It's undergone a complete resurgence so to dismiss it as nobody caring is lunacy.

The Grizzly Bear album doesn't do much to me, I don't find it particularly engaging and I'm not a big fan of the pretentious indie scene. As for Neil Young I haven't listened to any of his stuff since Harvest, so I can't comment. By the way my 2012 list looks something like this. (EDIT: Will post my RYM list later, the site seems to be down) Also, AC is who, my mind's gone blank.

Perhaps, in retrospect you just don't relate to Kendrick the way I do, perhaps he doesn't speak to me and thus you feel less of an emotional attachment to the album, just in the way that A Nation of Millions doesn't speak to me. But I don't get where people are getting 'boring' from, it's far from it. I think 'boring' is just a cop out answer to be honest.
14232949 is offline   Reply With Quote