Music Banter - View Single Post - I Need Sound (New Amp)
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2013, 11:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
drh1589
Groupie

Being in the similar position of being set on guitars but having an amp that's recently failed me and going amp shopping, I feel your pain.

For starters: what's your budget? (I'm guessing it doesn't have much of a limit if you're looking at Super Sonics) And whose guitar tone would you say you most similarly try to strive for?

I personally am looking for something that can clean up and has plenty of headroom. For that reason, something like a Vibrolux would be perfect. After that, I'll put some pedals in front of it (Tubescreamer, SuperOverdrive) to get what I ultimately want out of my tone.

That said, I know a lot of people aren't all about that, and would rather have a good, controlled overdrive sound from the amp.

All that being said, the SuperSonic's second channel gets pretty dirty. The same goes for the Egnater. That amp is simply so versatile I can't get over it (and is still on my list of things to look into).

Also, are you looking for a combo or would you be open to a small stack? Just curious.

Edit: After re-reading your post I notice you're looking at heads already. Mah bad.