Music Banter - View Single Post - Animal Collective
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2013, 01:43 AM   #505 (permalink)
Surell
Master, We Perish

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveYourCarDownToTheSea View Post
By way of comparison, MPP is to the the rest of AC's work as Bridge Over Troubled Water is to the rest of Simon & Garfunkel's work. Hope that makes sense.
I'm sure it will once I listen to Bridge Over Troubled Water

I think "Sky" would usually make a great replacement for "Bluish" but i'm not sure its sound, length, or production would quite fit in its place unless the album were shifted around a little bit. The current configuration kinda makes it difficult though, since they built the album almost only to work in its order.

You may be right about MPP being their kind of exercise while lacking fresher ideas, even though Fall Be Kind has its moments that seem genuinely fresh for the band. I may like the atmosphere that Deakin's presence seems to bring, since he's primarily the band's guitarist, and one who digs a harder edged sound for his instrument at that, which pushes the band toward grittier sounds a la SJ (he wasn't on MPP at all as well).

I am bummed that you don't dig SJ as much, but it was the first album I came to know them by so maybe i'm a little biased. I love a tight album though (but really it can't be that tight when some songs go on for seven minutes), and songs like "Cuckoo Cuckoo" and "Derek" really get my goat. There's just something so sinister about that album that I think is really refreshing in psychedelia, considering the brilliant casualties that the scene has within it (Wilson, Syd Barret, the Beatles as a band kinda). I think a lot of this comes down to how stark they made the production combined with the harsh feedback and dynamics and whatnot.

Centipede Hz does have an interesting industrial side, which does make it tighter melodically for the most part, but I just haven't been able to get my head entirely around it. It has some of my favorite tunes by them ("Applesauce," "Monkey Riches," "New Town Burnout," etc.), but some songs are a little forgettable to me when i step away from the album. It definitely deserves further listens though.

I'm glad you like "Bros," it's generally a favorite from the album, and i even used it for a short short short movie i made. That album has a really unique sound no one's really tried before or since.

Also, I think Avey Tare sings most of Feels, and he has a pretty divisive voice - he also sings/screams most of SJ which i'm sure some people could do without. It reminds me of a lighter kind of MPP though, in how blissful most of it is (i say lighter because MPP has a very dense, thoroughly concocted wall of sound thing going for it) - its simpler in its songwriting too, though, and leans more on tribal sounds. And while I don't see a whole lot of seriousness in Sung Tongs, it is one of their more bare albums, which gives it a hint of solemnity; kind of natural, maybe. "Kids on Holiday" is definitely one of their more serious efforts, though, and kind of reminds me of a more stripped down, low key "Fireworks" in the theme. And yes, the last song is pretty damn goofy sounding, one of their kinda infantile experimental tracks, which I'm down with because i also love the childhood themes in psychedelic stuff. I'm gonna chalk it up to Barret lineage.

But what's your favorite stuff from the Hz? And have you dug Fall Be Kind outside of "Sky"? "Graze" is one of the standout tracks on that one for me.

Also, when do you think the Wilson/AC collabo will go down?

PS: I can't speak much to the internet band status because 1) i haven't followed them long enough and 2) i kinda don't get a lot of the internet's implications because i was practically born into it.
^if you wanna know perfection that's it, you dumb shits
Spoiler for guess what:
|i am a heron i ahev a long neck and i pick fish out of the water w/ my beak if you dont repost this comment on 10 other pages i will fly into your kitchen tonight and make a mess of your pots and pans
Surell is offline   Reply With Quote