Music Banter - View Single Post - Off Colour Jokes and Why You're a Plebe for Using them
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2013, 07:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
Sansa Stark
Account Disabled

Default Off Colour Jokes and Why You're a Plebe for Using them

So let me start off by saying, yes, I'm a feminist. No, I don't hate men (for the most part) and yes, I have a sense of humour.

I actually have the best sense of humour of anyone I know, I rarely take myself seriously, however I don't find humour that relies on kicking people that are already down, because I'm not a plebe lacking in empathy.

Rape jokes are a hot subject nowadays, and speaking as a victim of rape & sexual abuse, they're really not funny to make fun of or use lightly. However, it's said that humour can be a way to deal with pain, and victims of any kind of abuse should not be told how to react/cope with the abuse. It's not our job to make you understand why you're an *******, we do it out of the kindness of our hearts. When I first realised what had happened to me (I knew something, but I couldn't admit it outright), it ate away at me, I felt I should tell someone but at the same time a victim shouldn't be expected to disclose their status, it's socially unacceptable to NOT share your pain when it comes to abuse, and god forbid you actually get caught up in the cycle of it. But anyway, the first person I told was a friend whom I love and trust more than anything else, I couldn't say it, but I insinuated it. She knew what I meant, but saying the r word was too much for me. She couldn't think of anything to say but I told her how hilarious to me it would be if she said "I'm sorry you got raped!" because it was absurd to say such a thing, and doesn't begin to cover the pain of it. But that's the point. She knew that, that's why it's funny to me. Or was.

If you have to rely on jokes that play on the pain and suffering of other people without actually empathising with their problem, how smart and funny can you actually be?
Sansa Stark is offline   Reply With Quote