Music Banter - View Single Post - Off Colour Jokes and Why You're a Plebe for Using them
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2013, 09:19 AM   #17 (permalink)
Mojo
Melancholia Eternally

I don't see it as having the right to do or not do something, but rather being smart about it.

I think, generally speaking, that we should be able to joke about anything. If thats what we're doing. There isnt anything wrong with joking and I think the world would be a miserable place if we didn't joke. Can anyone really say they don't joke at all? I doubt it. So automatically, you have made a personal judgement about what is OK to joke about and what isn't and therefore condemning someone else for making a different judgement just doesn't really seem fair.

It all comes down to where your own line is. I reserve the right to make jokes about rape or whatever I want - I just don't. In my opinion I'm being smart about things and also I'm drawing my own line. I think it's a pretty ****ing stupid and insensitive thing to do, to openly and publically joke about certain things, and I would include rape in that. Sure, I don't think anyone should have the right to censor me, but I also think that I can say with absolute certainty that if I make enough rape jokes, it is only a matter of time before someone takes offence to me or gets upset and for what, my right to make a rape joke? I can live without that.

Last.FM | Echoes and Dust
Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote