Music Banter - View Single Post - Off Colour Jokes and Why You're a Plebe for Using them
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2013, 02:29 PM   #63 (permalink)
Mojo
Melancholia Eternally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffy Kittens View Post
I agree. Happens a lot in Britain, grieving and being offended are like national sports here imo. One example: There was a footballer called Fabrice Muamba who had a cardiac arrest on the pitch and nearly died on television. The nation went into a massive forced outpouring of grief, everybody posting tributes, players getting t shirts printed, all sorts, it was cringey as fuck. A football fanzine printed this cover and got absolutely slated for it - http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/wp-co...2/03/ri260.jpg

I thought it was funny as fuck and bang on.
I do know what you mean here but for the most part, I didn't see it that way. I actually think that other countries seem to be quicker offended etc than we are and when it comes to things like Muamba having a heart attack, and Petrov getting cancer, all the tributes at Villa Park etc I wouldn't be so quick to take issue with it. I think, at its core, it's a good thing. It's a normal, decent way for people top react. If we do anything here, as a rule, we maybe just drag it out longer than we need to.

I think what happened to Muamba was a shock. For a football fan, you dont like to witness that happen on TV, and it's natural to want to wish him well. We all pay to watch football and footballers, and for all they **** we give them, I think its natural to make a connection like that with one of them when something like that happens. To pay a tribute or whatever. Same with Petrov. The man has cancer. That isn't a nice scenario. However, how long is Villa Park gonna continue the tributes in the 19th minute? They can't keep it up forever, can they?

We maybe drag things on, when its probably time to move on, or else we arent just responding like decent people, we are dwelling in something unneccessarily. Look at Hillsborough. And look at the fans who would take my legs for even daring to mention it unless it's a completely, unmistakeably complimentary and praising way.

Last.FM | Echoes and Dust
Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote