Music Banter - View Single Post - Off Colour Jokes and Why You're a Plebe for Using them
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2013, 04:01 PM   #84 (permalink)
Sansa Stark
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Down View Post
How do people here generally feel about jokes about autism or where people with autism are the butt of the joke?
I'm not really sure, it'd kind of be dependent on the actual butt of the joke, like I would totally make jokes about the vaccination thing, but that's because it's dumb as **** to rather have your kid die than be autistic. I don't know much about autism personally but I do know that there's a spectrum (just like most things!!) and they can range from anywhere to low to high functioning ~genius types. Being that I myself have a mental illness (I don't know if autism is classified is such) I would never, ever advocate for anything that puts neurodivergent people as a joke, because people's attitudes and misinformation are downright dangerous, I mean, look at all the shootings and violence and literally everything awful that gets blamed on mental illness when it's actually false, mentally ill people are more likely to be the victim of violence than the perpetrator.

Also I do use gay to describe things but it's usually things I love, much like using "queer" because queer = reclaimed as our own word and queer just means general non-cis, non-binary etc etc, it's a comfortable word, like an old sweater. But the way I use it is like, I'd describe my avatar as queer, even though Kanye is (from what I know) heterosexual, the flower crown is the queer part.
Sansa Stark is offline   Reply With Quote