Music Banter - View Single Post - Music and Activism
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2013, 04:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
katsy
Music Addict

Default Music and Activism

I have come across this senior level class at the university, music and activism.
I imagine it teaches how music can be used to deliver a message of social, political, etc, change to the masses. Or maybe it focuses on individuals artists, labels, groups, that use their popularity or resources for the good of mankind. OR both.(There's no description for it)

Music for me is usually just listening to something I enjoy, to relax, to just turn everything off for a bit. But it can do more.

Not an original idea, but an interesting one for me. There are many types of activism, such as political, social, environmental, labor…I know many artist are activists, but what about the music? The sound, lyric, message, images transmitted through the song. A few from the past come to mind(Rage Against the Machine).

What’s the most recent song, or a favorite from the past, you’ve heard that combines music and activism to deliver a message or start a conversation in the public? How good of job does the song do? Did it touch you in some way or make you feel/think differently?

I'm going to share two that immediately came to mind.
The first I think is great. It's about equality focusing on LGBTQ+ rights, human rights. Gender roles are in there too. There's a lot going on, feel free to add.

I never considered it until now, but it does bring about some points of interest: gender and the message youth or anyone can get from the media and music.