Music Banter - View Single Post - When you pick up a new instrument...
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2013, 04:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
drh1589
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3 View Post
Do you guys ever choose an instrument (in this case a second) based on your first? I like piano, but I'm not always indoors, and I can't carry it many places period, never mind if people are playing on a stoop or in the woods.

Also, I can't really play sustained harmonies on the piano so I sorta want to take that up as the second "axe." Does anyone else think this way, or am I cra?
I started playing flute in 3rd grade (my own choice), and stuck with that. It was just fun and for whatever reason I liked it.

After that, I picked up guitar as a freshman in high school. I joined some local bands, picked up bass a little later and later on replaced our drummer and have filled in on that.

Otherwise, I had to learn every wind/stringed/percussion instrument as a music ed major. I can literally play any instrument at at least a 7th grade level.

In other cases, I've chosen to continue on with some instruments simply for my own enjoyment. Since college, I got into jazz guitar. I bought a vintage saxophone and now play sax in a local jazz combo that gigs a few times a week.

Mostly, I pick up things I enjoyed learning to play for a few weeks in class or that I love the sound of and wish I could play.

As for piano...I just need to get better. I'm fairly good and can function as a choral director but not much more. I would LOOOOVE to get good at piano.