Music Banter - View Single Post - Animal Collective
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2013, 07:13 PM   #506 (permalink)
DriveYourCarDownToTheSea
AllTheWhileYouChargeAFee

My favorite song from Hz is definitely Rosie Oh. Best electric reggae song ever!! It's a great example of what I was talking about before about ideal mixes between the familiar (in this case, Reggae) and the experimental. Pulleys is really good too, as is Applesauce.

As for Fall Be Kind, by now I think I've listened to it probably 10 times ... and it only just arrived in the mail today from amazon.com!! The whole CD is great, and at this point the best song is a 3-way tie between Sky, Bleed and I Think I Can. In fact I think I'll go so far as to say it's as good as MPP, maybe even better, with the downside that it's too short! Four more songs would have been great.

Anyway, back to the Bridge Over Troubled Water analogy, when you get around to listening to the album, you'll notice that it's far, far removed from their prior folk-rock stuff (though Bookends was definitely heading away from that already). If you listen to S&G's first album, then listen to BOTW, it's like day and night. BOTW is this massively ambitious, highly produced, almost epic in scale commercial blockbuster, while their early stuff was just some (very) pretty folk tunes. Some people who like pretty folk tunes might not like the highly-produced, extremely ambitious scope of BOTW, but there's no denying it's a masterpiece and Paul Simon's songwriting had taken a huge leap. Seems to me comparing MPP to AC's earlier work is like comparing Bridge Over Troubled Water to Wednesday Morning, 3AM.