Music Banter - View Single Post - Off Colour Jokes and Why You're a Plebe for Using them
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2013, 08:18 PM   #88 (permalink)
Burning Down
The Music Guru.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermione View Post
I'm not really sure, it'd kind of be dependent on the actual butt of the joke, like I would totally make jokes about the vaccination thing, but that's because it's dumb as **** to rather have your kid die than be autistic.
I will joke about the vaccine thing too. The whole theory was an absolute crock of shit. Not according to Oojay/Merit, of course

Quote:
I don't know much about autism personally but I do know that there's a spectrum (just like most things!!) and they can range from anywhere to low to high functioning ~genius types. Being that I myself have a mental illness (I don't know if autism is classified is such) I would never, ever advocate for anything that puts neurodivergent people as a joke, because people's attitudes and misinformation are downright dangerous,
There is a spectrum for autism, yes. In DSM-IV the umbrella term is "Pervasive Developmental Disorders" which includes Autism, Asperger's Syndrome, and PDD-NOS (not otherwise specified). But in DSM-V, the new edition, they changed it to Autism Spectrum Disorders and omitted Asperger's and PDD-NOS completely. There's also Rett Syndrome which is similar but only affects females, though it doesn't come under the spectrum. Autism is actually considered a neuro-developmental disorder, but people with autism can and often exhibit symptoms of mental illness especially later on in adulthood.

Quote:
I mean, look at all the shootings and violence and literally everything awful that gets blamed on mental illness when it's actually false, mentally ill people are more likely to be the victim of violence than the perpetrator.
And the same goes for people with autism, since many are not quick on the uptake when it comes to social cues, body language... things like that which could put them in unfortunate situations especially if they are lower functioning, and may even have a mental illness as well.

Quote:
Also I do use gay to describe things but it's usually things I love, much like using "queer" because queer = reclaimed as our own word and queer just means general non-cis, non-binary etc etc, it's a comfortable word, like an old sweater. But the way I use it is like, I'd describe my avatar as queer, even though Kanye is (from what I know) heterosexual, the flower crown is the queer part.
And that's just fine. It's when people use gay or retarded in a negative or condescending manner that bothers me.

And just the other day I was at the mall with my brother and he was kind of making a scene and crying because his schedule was off, and some lady sat on a bench and said loudly to her friend, "That teenager needs help if he is throwing tantrums in public." Way to judge, bitch. You don't know shit about him.

Some people are just so ignorant and I experience that ignorance when they find out my brother is autistic or that I'm trying to cope with anxiety and panic attacks. They might make a joke or some asinine comment and it just feeds the stigma that the autism community is trying to eradicate. Fuck them.
Burning Down is offline   Reply With Quote