Music Banter - View Single Post - The Bitch Box
Thread: The Bitch Box
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2013, 08:21 AM   #12590 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchameleon View Post
There would most certainly have been an issue if the verdict came back saying Zimmerman was guilty but it just wouldn't be outrage from the same group of people obviously.

I can't help feeling that if Trayvon was white this verdict would have been different and a majority of people going around saying this had nothing to do with race wouldn't feel outraged that the evidence favored Zimmerman.
Why do you think that if Treyvon was white it would have been different? Are you under the assumption that all the jurors were white racists? Where are you getting that assumption from?

Also, if it was the same case facts, the same prosecution, same everything, and they found him guilty... I wouldn't be angry for any racial reason. I'd be angry that the jury chose to ignore evidence and law and make this about emotion. Whether that law is reasonable or not is another matter entirely, but it is still law and Zimmerman didn't break it, according to a jury of his peers.

Remember OJ? I was in homeroom at school when they read the verdict. Blacks were threatening to start a race riot (and they would have) at school if the verdict came back guilty. Fortunately for my white ass, it didn't. But everyone knows OJ did it. There just wasn't enough evidence in the case to convince the jury. And that's how the system works. But you certainly didn't see everyone jumping on the racial bandwagon in regard to that outcome.
Had he been found guilty, though, according to Obama and the "lense of history through African American's eyes" or whatever, we would have had hell to pay simply because OJ was black. Not that he was really not guilty or anything.

It's hard to see people like that as objective when facts and evidence have no bearing on their perception of reality. And frankly, it's not all that great for social progress either.