Music Banter - View Single Post - What TV shows are people watching?
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2013, 09:44 AM   #2072 (permalink)
Mojo
Melancholia Eternally

I think I just about agree with that.

I think theres an argument to be made that they took everything that was good about the UK Office and just...Americanised it. Exaggerated it, made it bigger, much, much bigger.

David Brent was the centre of the original show. I just don't think the show would have worked without him. He was vital and the heart of everything else that was going on around him. He was also hilarious.

Michael Scott was very funny too but where Brents behaviour allowed Tim and Gareth to behave the way they behaved, which was a huge and funny part of the show, Michael Scotts behaviour allowed Jim and Dwight to do the same - and they became a bigger part of the show as a result. The show can stand on its own with those two, and a supporting cast.

I think I can compare the original cast with their equivalent and counterpart in the US and check the UK boxes all the way, in regards to which character I prefer. As I say, I do prefer the original. However Dwight is my exception. I thought Gareth was hilarious but Dwight is a sitcom of all his own. And despite the focus I have just put on comparing the two here, I do love the fact that I dont have to do that with this show. I dont have to compare them. They are two completely different shows and are both very good.

Last.FM | Echoes and Dust
Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote