Music Banter - View Single Post - exploring emo bands by 216
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2013, 10:57 AM   #13 (permalink)
Isbjørn
cooler commie than elph

Quote:
Originally Posted by 216 View Post
i have actually not heard of empire empire or tigers jaw. when i think about 3rd wave emo i think of::: jimmy eat world, taking back sunday, dashnoard confessional the most. always a lot of controversy over genres ((although i dont feel its that important)) over bands like new found glory, alkaline trio, brand new, straylight run, armor for sleep, saves the day, the used, etc etc etc.

so yes i guess i am talkin about mainstream stuff although most would consider a lot of those bands to be pop-punk or.....something else. i think emo died after the 2nd wave and i dont really know what to group the bands i just listed as.

but i did see a lot of shows as a teenager and saw the majority of those bands listed live. i went years without revisiting any of it cause i thought it was real lame. then i listened and thought ''oh wow how nostalgic'' but i actually think i genuinely just like some of it, especially a lot of taking back sundays first 3 albums, brand news first 3 albums, andthe used's 1st 2 albums. all the lyrics seem cheesier and a bit lamer but i still fins myself singin along.

i am open to listening to these revival bands you speak of though. just hit me with suggestions if you have anymore.

emo got commercialized and i think that changed it a lot. just like grunge was changed, just like nu metal to an extent, etc. i feel like in others genres you can take todays music and compare it other music of the same genre from 20 yrs ago and you can at least trace a path from where it started to where it is now. i think it's harder to do that with emo. i really dont hear the similarities in anything when i listen to 3rd wave then listen to 1st wave stuff.
I think Jimmy Eat World belongs to the second wave (Static Prevails and Clarity albums), and changed into alterna-rock with Bleed American. I think Saves The Day is alright, I like some of their songs from the Through Being Cool album, but I'd avoid the other bands if I were you.They'll mess up your idea of what emo is. Or at least they did to me. Maybe not Brand New, I don't know.

Last edited by Isbjørn; 07-27-2013 at 12:54 AM.
Isbjørn is offline   Reply With Quote