Music Banter - View Single Post - What are you reading right now?
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2013, 09:45 PM   #4759 (permalink)
Paedantic Basterd
Music Addict

My laptop is being repaired, and thus I am reading EVERYTHING EVER WRITTEN.

Cormac McCarthy - All the Pretty Horses: Once I settled into the manner in which he tells a story, I did enjoy this. I wish I paid more attention to my mother's horses though, because the jargon, among other things, can make passages hard to follow if you don't watch a lot of Westerns or ride ponies. 3.5/5.

John Green - An Abundance of Katherines: Kinda cute, kinda funny story about teenagers and their relationships. 3/5.

Neil Gaiman - The Ocean at the End of the Lane: A book full of charm and magic and wonder which can be read and enjoyed by both children and adults without either party feeling alienated. Well done. 4/5.

Katie Williams - Absent: Highschool thriller about ghosts and stuff. Fluffy but entertaining. 3/5.

Milan Kundera - Identity: My least favourite Kundera so far. Very quick read that teeters on devastation, but cops out at the last minute and contains very little philosophy for Kundera's work. 3/5.

Bret Easton Ellis - Imperial Bedrooms: A page-turner, neo-noir thing, but his run-on sentences drive me mad and I still don't know what the **** that part about laxative-fist-****ing was about. Hard to get attached to any of these characters, but it was a sequel and the first book wasn't available to me, so I didn't read it, which can probably explain my reaction. 3/5.

Kazuo Ishiguro - Never Let Me Go: Amazing read, absolutely loved it. Combines a lot of the qualities I love in my favourites; bittersweet emotion, dystopian nightmares, hopelessness and intrigue. Huzzah! 5/5
Paedantic Basterd is offline   Reply With Quote