Music Banter - View Single Post - A Logical Argument for Reincarnation
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2013, 08:14 PM   #39 (permalink)
Lord Larehip
Account Disabled

Quote:
So in other words, you went into this with complete bias and your air-tight explanation isn't air-tight.
Logically, it's air-tight. But it doesn't prove a thing. If it did, I would be the greatest thinker in the whole of human history.

Quote:
This is how far I got into your post before I met another statement and assumption. How do you know wave function collapses only happen as a result of consciousness?
Maybe you're thinking of quantum decoherence which gives the appearance of wave function collapse as an explanation of its observance. Wave collapse is not fundamental here and there may be equivalent processes to explain it. But it brings its own set of bizarre theories such as hidden variables and the multiverse (parallel universes). I can make use of those as well.

Quote:
What do you gain from believing it is all generated by your consciousness? Almost nothing.
Almost nothing is pretty damn good! I'll take it! Idealism gives you free will, materialism can't even decide if there is free will or not but strongly leans towards not. Idealism gives a glimpse beyond death and before birth, materialism holds that there is nothing before birth or after death. Idealism explains morality as causation of consciousness (because we have free will), materialism holds that morality is nothing more than evolutionary programming linked to survival.

Quote:
Yes, there is, because all evidence points to consciousness as being the consequence of interactions taking place in a brain. Without an organ, or possibly something else, to facilitate such interactions, no consciousness can arise.
Doesn't prove that consciousness is epiphenomenal. Doesn't prove anything.

Quote:
Does this explain animal behaviour as well, then? F.ex are dogs only nice to people because they subconsciously worry about their karma? Is a vampire bat that shares blood with its starving neighbour doing so out of fear of what might happen in the next life?
I don't know. I'm not an expert on what goes in an another animal's head. I know what goes on in mine and, to some extent, yours and THAT is what I work with. I don't know what a dog believes or if a dog has beliefs. I wouldn't waste my time philosophizing over it.

Quote:
From the general principle of occam's razor, one should accept that the universe is not generated from our consciousness alone.
Occam's razor isn't going to be of much help in an area where every theory is as complex as the next.

Quote:
The alternative raises too many difficult questions. For instance, if everything is generated by our consciousness, why then this illusion of cause and consequence going way back to a time when seemingly there was no consciousness?
Because there never was such a time. If I say consciousness is fundamental to the universe, it means you can't go back to when there was no consciousness. Your having a major misconception here and that makes me wonder if you understand at all what I am getting at.

Quote:
Why do we dream up evolution?
We don't. Who said we did?

Quote:
Why don't we know everything about the universe?
If the universe is fundamentally matter and you are also fundamentally matter then why don't you know? Pointless questions.

Quote:
How was the universe created?
Watch the Science Channel. I think they present all the prevailing theories.

Quote:
Why does the universe, or we as we create it, trick ourselves, for example by leaving dinosaur fossils for us to find?
It doesn't work like that. Yes, you do not understand idealism at all. Do an internet search and educate yourself on this subject and we'll talk again. Right now it's useless. You can't argue against someone's position if you have no idea what their position is.
Lord Larehip is offline   Reply With Quote