Music Banter - View Single Post - Ask A Foreigner
Thread: Ask A Foreigner
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2013, 08:00 AM   #741 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Default Grumbling from paradise...

Sorry, dj: this is a two-year bump, but I wanted to share some pics of where I live.

The Yucatan Peninsular is a popular holiday destination for people escaping the North American winter, and it´s hot and humid for most of the year. As well as beach resorts, it has Maya ruins which look very exotic - great non-Euopean ruins looming out of the jungle like an Indiana Jones set:-

But take a look behind the ruins; except at sea, have you ever seen a horizon that was quite so horizontal ? The land is flat for miles around and covered by almost impenetratable jungle, so there´s no incentive to wander off the beaten track. As a friend of mine said after her 4-hour drive from the airport, down a highway that´s cut like a tunnel through the jungle, "Oh, isn´t it boring!"

On the plus side, the vegetation also intrudes into the towns, with trees giving an agreeable appearance, and crucially, a bit of shade during the heat of the day.( My house btw, is 10 mins walk to the left of the skyscraper in this pic):-