Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2013, 03:29 AM   #13415 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exoskeletal View Post
This is the only film I'm still afraid to see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
Likewise.... I was disturbed enough after watching both of the Human Centipede movies. I can't deal with that level of disturbing gore, especially involving babies
Agreed! It's not that I can't take it - I've seen plenty of nastiness and I know I can stomach it, but I don't really appreciate that emotionally drained / hollow feeling that comes afterwards. It's like I lost a bit of innocence and it takes a while before I am back to being my comfortable, old self. Sometimes, a movie may have some kind of value (thought provoking, director you're interested in, etc.) that makes the trade-off worth it. But in the case of A Serbian Movie, I suspect or fear that I would get little else out of it besides unpleasantness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
I watched this and I really enjoyed it as well. It isn't a typical apocalypse film or a typical romance film and it's not perfect or anything but I thought it was better than the average, kind of 5/6 out of 10 ratings it seems to have gotten.
Cool, will keep an eye out for this Looks alright for light entertainment. But how was Knightley? She's attractive, but I'm not sure how I like her as a dramatic actress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebase Dali View Post
Anyway, whoever made the trailer should have made the movie... it wasn't the way I thought it would be, but that's to be expected. I wouldn't ordinarily go to a theater to see this kind of film, but like I said, I wanted the popcorn, and I was bored.

Oh well. I got what I wanted out of the deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by djchameleon
Oh man, this movie was so good. I don't know what you wanted from it but it was good enough for me. I get wigged out by exorcism/demonic possession type movies. I think it goes back to growing up Christian and always being dragged to the church every Sunday but man I actually want to a sequel to this movie where we get to see other cases that the two ghost hunters get sent on. I believe you weren't pleased by it because you are an Atheist and always was.

the thing that I really liked about the movie is that they threw in everything that adults are scared of: clowns, creepy ass dolls, possessed kids.
Freebase, what did you not like about it? It looks very exciting to me, but I am also a strict atheist who thinks of serious ghost hunting as rather ridiculous. I am, however, capable of suspending belief and so on when watching a movie .. which I guess is why I enjoyed movies like Avatar and Prometheus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post
I am more freaked out by viewing Antichrist TBH. The DVD has been sat on my shelves for 2 years now and I still haven't watched it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by djchameleon View Post
I started watching that on Netflix and after about 15 mins. I had to shut it off. I will attempt to watch it one day.
I saw it and think I even commented on it in this thread. It is the perfect feel bad movie

The violence it depicts is really not what stands out as bad to me. Rather, it's the whole doomed feel of the thing, the subject matter, the atmosphere it creates and the feelings it stirs. I don't think it was a very hard watch, but I think going into it with the wrong expectations could lead to disappointment. Although I guess everyone knows by now that this movie's soul is pretty much pitch black.

I believe Von Trier admitted to being clinically depressed when making the movie and it shows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Machete (2010)
I admire Robert Rodriguez for his DIY ethos but I seldom love his movies. This was the exception. Ball to the walls awesomeness from beginning to end. Loved it.
Machete has been on my shelf for a long time now, but I've been sceptical. After reading this, I'm gonna bump it up on my list of priorities!

Sorry for the long post