Music Banter - View Single Post - I'm Here Today, Expect It To Stay On - Ki's Journal of Music
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2013, 02:35 PM   #40 (permalink)
Key

I remember about a year or two ago, this band was on my list of bands that I had to give a fair listen to, fortunately I had a friend on another forum who was absolutely crazy for them, so the recommendations he suggested helped me form a proper opinion about them. I was also told to give them a listen based on the fact that they have a similar sound to The Pineapple Thief, whom I have a huge liking for. I heard the similarities both in the instrumentals and the vocalists at some points, however in The Smashing Pumpkins case, there's one thing I cannot stand and can't seem to get my mind around it, Billy Corgan. He's not a great vocalist from my perspective, the experience I had with him was the same experience I had with Radiohead where I found the music to be awesome, the vocals were absolutely terrible. It didn't fit the music as well as I was hoping, but I really wanted to give it a few more listens, so I gave Siamese Dream a good few listens before I moved onto their other albums hoping something would change, but I wasn't too surprised when they didn't. My overall experience be it not the greatest, wasn't too much of a waste of time since I went out of my comfort zone and did my best to see what it was that people went so crazy about. I'm just not big on the whiny-esque vocals mixed with alternative-rock. I can stand it when it's a genre like emo or screamo because it's something to expect. So my overall opinion comes down to...

I do find it unfortunate that I find them to not be worth the hype they receive because they were a band that I did want to like, which is saying a lot since I don't normally go into listening to new material hoping to like them, I usually keep an open mind and decided later on, but I was giving such positive feedback when I said I was going to listen to them that I just felt it would be necessary to go into listening to it with the mindset that I will like them. Unfortunately I was wrong, but it's ok. I just don't think they're as great as people claim that they are. They sit on the same pedestal as Radiohead, so I don't see myself giving these guys a listen in the near future.
Key is offline   Reply With Quote