Music Banter - View Single Post - Learning to play guitar?
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2013, 09:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
DriveYourCarDownToTheSea
AllTheWhileYouChargeAFee

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcrunner View Post
I am a 17 year old rising senior in high school, and over the past year, I have fell in love with music and would love to learn how to play guitar and maybe during college start independently writing and recording my own songs. My problem is I have no idea where to start. My dad used to be a somewhat prominent drummer, and he also sort of plays guitar, but I was wondering if anyone has any tips outside of that as well. If not I'm perfectly fine just talking to him. Also, I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but does anyone have any advice for doing my own thing independently and building some popularity eventually? Any advice is well appreciated! Thanks!
When I was maybe 2 years younger than you I took about a dozen guitar lessons, then afterwards I taught myself gradually over the years. I was always into acoustic guitar stuff, like Crosby Stills & Nash, James Taylor and Simon & Garfunkel. There were songs I had always wanted to play, and my goal was to teach myself these songs. One of those songs was this, and by the time I was about 30 I could play it just like Paul Simon. Nowadays I can practically play it in my sleep, and can easily recover if I mess up somewhere and it's barely noticeable.

Pick something you *want* to play really bad, and make it your goal to play it as good as the artist you're trying to emulate.