Music Banter - View Single Post - Urban's Journal Of Half Assed Ideas
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2013, 09:54 AM   #279 (permalink)
Urban Hat€monger ?
The Sexual Intellectual

100 singles 100 memories

In this series I shall try to recount 100 singles with 100 memories in my life that they remind me of. Or however many I manage until I get bored.

No1

Artist: The Rolling Stones
Single: Get Off My Cloud
Released: October 1965

This was my first introduction to Rock n Roll. I remember being at home at sometime during the school holidays. I couldn't have been more than 6 or 7 years old, maybe a little older when this very same video appeared on TV.
I can't remember the exact reason this was on TV although I think it was something to do with Top Of The Pops. I think it may have been something to do with that show making it's 20th anniversary or something which would fit in perfectly in the time frame.
I'd heard Rock n Roll before, my Dad was a Buddy Holly fanatic. I'd even heard the Rolling Stones before but only a handful of singles on the radio in the late 70s early 80s so nothing really for the young me to get excited about. But this was different.

I think this was the first time I had SEEN what Rock n Roll was, as in people performing it rather than it just being a piece of plastic with a colourful label on it in my parents cupboard.
I remember vividly that the bands before the Stones were shown were pleasant enough, including The Beatles. They would play along to all these short poppy songs and would all smile at the camera with lots of flashy lights & cute girls dancing along. Then when this clip was played seeing the Stones all looking mean & moody in almost total darkness really got my attention.
Jagger was dancing like a spazz but that didn't really bother me, it was that riff that made all the hairs on the back of my neck stand up, and the lyrics too. This wasn't some sappy love song, this was basically some guy telling someone to fuck off. Even at that young age I got it and loved it that this song was so different to what I was used to at that stage of my life.

This song is where music first revealed it's dark side to me, and did I enjoy it.

Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote