Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2013, 10:58 AM   #13430 (permalink)
Alfred
one big soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric generic View Post
Paper thin stuff is pretty much always flimsy dog.
Flimsy implies it's weak and could fall apart (plotholes etc). Thin just means there's not much there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine View Post
Why do you call it a love it or hate it film? Like me, you're in the middle. I suspect many viewers are the same. Also, maybe I'm being dense but I didn't see many questions - maybe one or two. I'm surprised that you found it ambiguous, the mystical part I can see. Also we agree on the GORGEOUSness of it. I suppose that's the best part.

Btw, I previously praised the violence of this film, but then I went back and re-watched Drive and found the violence in Drive to be much more brutal and entertaining.

Not that the two films should necessarily be compared, but I felt that the violence in Only God Forgives is probably its best feature (gorgeous brutality). So I was kinda sad for it when I found that Drive wins in the violence category on top of everything else.
I agree with you on the violence. Much has been made of how brutal this film is, but the scene with the icepicks was the only really graphic part. Sure, overall this film is more unsettling with its violence, but Drive was more brutal and gory.