Music Banter - View Single Post - Learning to play guitar?
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2013, 06:06 PM   #12 (permalink)
Astronomer
we are stardust

I agree with Big3. I am classically trained and therefore can sight-read music and have a sound knowledge of music theory. But for a 17 year old just wanted to pick up guitar first, I wouldn't start putting my head in the books and trying to learn all the theory, learning to read music, before even touching a guitar or having a go. Yes, many great musicians we know are probably able to sight-read music and have a huge knowledge bank of music theory. But the OP is a young guy just wanting to have a go at guitar at this stage...

OP, I would learn some basic guitar chords first. You can look up tabs and probably find a tutorial somewhere about how to read tabs, or you can look up YouTube tutorials to see how to play some basic chords. Like Big3 said, you could also look up some tabs to one of your favourite songs and then have a crack at it. Once you've actually picked up a guitar, had a good go, gotten a feel for the instrument, learnt some basic practices, THEN if you want to pursue it you can start looking into the whole music theory side to it and reading music etc

I find it extremely pretentious when musicians bang on about having to know all the theory, and having to know how to sight-read music, and having to know how to do scales etc. Ultimately for many, that is not what music is about and I think it's important to find enjoyment in experimenting with music and musical instruments. Then if the musician feels they need to or would like to, then they can start looking into all the theory side of things. (Because yes, it will help you become a better musician but for someone just starting out I wouldn't insist that it is a downright necessity that you MUST begin with before even trying anything else.)

Last edited by Astronomer; 08-03-2013 at 06:15 PM.
Astronomer is offline   Reply With Quote