Music Banter - View Single Post - Badlittlekitten's top 100 Albums
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2013, 12:01 PM   #26 (permalink)
Badlittlekitten
And then there was music

Gilberto Gil - Gilberto Gil
Tropicalia/Psychedelic pop

Best tracks; 'Domingo no Parque', 'Luzia Luluza', 'Procissão' 'Ele Falava Nisso Todo Dia', 'Pega a Voga, Cabeludo',

Sunny 60's pop gem from Brazil. When your very art is seen as a threat to your county's military regime and you're on the verge of getting locked up and exiled, surely your work shouldn't be this . . carefree? This playful and breezy? The tropicalia scene - which meshed traditional Brazilian music with the sounds of them evil Yanks/Brits and their rock n' roll - is some of the happiest music to ever come out of such political unrest.

Gilberto is backed by psych heads Os Mutantes and they play samba and bossa nova but choose to muddy it all up with garage rock, psychedelia and all the other good bits from late 60's rock. There's also a lot of gorgeous George Martin style orchestration. It's way ahead of its time, even for 1968, which I'm starting to believe is the greatest year in rock history.

Música e Trabalho: Procissão (Gilberto Gil e Os Mutantes) - YouTube

Domingo no Parque - Gilberto Gil - YouTube

https://soundcloud.com/bad-little-kittens
My Top 100 LPs
My Top 52 Indie Tracks Of The 21st Century (incomplete)

Last edited by Badlittlekitten; 08-04-2013 at 03:21 PM.
Badlittlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote