Music Banter - View Single Post - Distortion
Thread: Distortion
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2013, 12:10 PM   #12 (permalink)
Mondo Bungle
Prepare 4 the Fight Scene

I'm almost positive everyone here listens to music, lol, and maybe some of you have had truly remarkable experiences while doing so. I've had a few, myself. I'm starting a short list now.......of my

Top 10 Music Listening Experiences

Slint - Spiderland

This is number ten, so it's not all that flashy or epic, just a really awesome discovery. I don't know why I remember the first time I listened to this album in full, but it was neat. Before that, I had only heard the song "Washer", which I enjoyed, (now it's one of my all time favorite songs) but I had seen their name mentioned a lot. Forerunners to the whole post-rock thing and stuff like that. Back then I was getting into post-rock, like GY!BE and Explosions in the Sky, all the main groups, so maybe I'd like Slint, seeing as they also combined noise rock and post-punk. I downloaded Spiderland one day, but didn't listen to it right away. It was kind of a 'just to have' thing at that point. But after a while, I got around to it, it was a boring and quiet afternoon and I had no plans. I was just sitting there. I went to put on some music, but didn't know what I wanted to listen to. Something not too hard, but not too soft either. I decided on the Slint album after a minute. The beginning riff of "Breadcrumb Trail" started, and I thought it was real cool. But I was moreso enticed when the guitars got louder, and the vocals went from low talking to a louder singing delivery. After that was "Nosferatu Man", and I enjoyed the guitars again. The riff at around 2:50 onward was hypnotizing. After these two songs I was hooked. "Don, Aman" is a quiet one, and I thought it was going to be that the whole time, but I was surprised by the second guitar somewhere around the 4:00 mark. After that is "Washer", my favorite track. I didn't hear anything for 20 seconds, but then the melodies started. Another riff I really liked. It was the only track where singing was done over a quiet part, instead of talking. I love the lyrics to this one. But of course the best part is that loud, squealing guitar solo, makes me just wanna go on some kind of rampage. "For Dinner" is a good atmospheric instrumental, and I thought it was at a good place on the album. "Good Morning, Captain" was full of little melodies I liked, and the end of it is one of my favorite parts of the album.

This is one of my favorite albums now, which is why this made my list.

*epic guitar solo blasts into my face*

DAMN IT MONDO
Mondo Bungle is offline   Reply With Quote