Music Banter - View Single Post - R&B Album Swap
Thread: R&B Album Swap
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2013, 05:41 PM   #32 (permalink)
Soulflower
Account Disabled

Next album review

Janet Jackson's 1997 album "The Velvet Rope"

This is Janet Jackson's sixth studio album and is on record as her most personal album to date. Janet developed the concept of the album as she was stuggling with depression. Janet explained that "The Velvet Rope" is an allusion to individuals need to feel special. Janets offers audiences the opportunity to cross her velvet rope as well as their own. She covers a wide range of subjects such as sexuality, self esteem, homosexuality, depression, bi sexuality, domestic violence, social issues, and homophobia. Musically, the album blends, neo soul, electronic music, hip hop, and R&B. Janet also has a writing credit on all of the songs. I think this is her second best album from her catalogue. Its such a masterpiece from beginning to end and I love how vunerable and personal she was on it.

1. "Interlude: Twisted Elegance"
2. "Velvet Rope" (featuring Vanessa-Mae)
3. "You"
4. "Got 'til It's Gone" (featuring Q-Tip and Joni Mitchell)
5. "Interlude: Speaker Phone"
6. "My Need"
7. "Interlude: Fasten Your Seatbelts"
8. "Go Deep"
9. "Free Xone"
10. "Interlude: Memory"
11. "Together Again"
12. "Interlude: Online"
13. "Empty"
14. "Interlude: Full"
15. "What About"
16. "Every Time"
17. "Tonight's the Night"
18. "I Get Lonely"
19. "Rope Burn"
20. "Anything"
21. "Interlude: Sad"
22. "Special" (includes the hidden track "Can't Be Stopped", which starts at 3:42)

What do you guys think of the album and the era? I love the music videos for I Get Lonely, Together Again and Got Till Its Gone.
Soulflower is offline   Reply With Quote