Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2013, 06:06 PM   #13441 (permalink)
jackhammer
Ba and Be.

The writer/director Andrew Niccol (Gattaca, Lord of War) always has interesting ideas and makes really great looking films and this is no exception. Justin Timberlake is surprisingly good and Amanda Seyfried is gorgeously kooky but the DVD print is horrendous. Very grainy which annoyed the crap out of me and there are a couple of gaps in logic in the film but it was enjoyable enough.

A decent little British doc about a guy (Tom Spicer) with fragile x syndrome (a sever form of autism I think) who is obsessed with Lars Ulrich from Metallica so his older sister and younger brother set about a meeting between them. Imagine my surprise when the sister turns out to be Kate Spicer a sometime journalist/judge on Masterchef!

It was definitely worth a watch especially as Tom changes his mind at every other opportunity to actually meet Lars (due to his condition) but it didn't have the emotional punch I wanted as Kate already has contacts in the industry and money behind her so the meet was a lot easier than it could have been and that robbed it of some genuine emotional magic.

Written and directed by the infamous Uwe Boll who has the unfortunate moniker of being our generations Ed Wood in terms of making abysmal movies but having never seen one of his films I was pleasantly surprised by this.

A jet black (and violent) film about a 20 something guy who has had enough of his bland life and so builds an armoured suit and goes around his local town shooting the crap out of all and sundry.

It has a couple of nice twists, the acting is decent and it takes many digs out of mass consumerism. If this came out in the early 80's and without Boll's name attached it could well be a cult classic.

“A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.”
jackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote