Music Banter - View Single Post - Justin Timberlake - The 20/20 Experience
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2013, 07:21 PM   #53 (permalink)
Soulflower
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchameleon View Post
We will have to disagree on this as well because I feel like he has grown somewhat. He didn't make a drastic experimental change that I feel you want from him but he matured a bit and you can tell with his subject matter/lyrics that he's a newlywed and in that honeymoon phase of being in a mature relationship.
Fair enough

Quote:
The audience just isn't there for traditional R&B to make cross over success.
You're right.

Quote:
So you think it's only okay/average because of the comparison that they are making?
No. That is not the ONLY reason. I dont think the album lives up to the hype and even if it wasnt as hyped, I still would think it was okay because its not really new material from him.

Quote:
Also, I don't really like the attitude that people get when a new artist is compared to their favorites. The same thing happens with say The Beatles. Some reviewers will throw around and name drop artists like they are buzzwords but I don't see a problem with doing that. The new artist doesn't have to match up and be as perfect as the person they are being compared to.
I have a problem with it because its not true. Justin could have been compared to Frank Zappa lol and I still would question the comparision. If a magazine is implying that Justin Timberlake is on the same level as Stevie Wonder and that his music is on the same level then you better believe I am going to be extra critical LOL since his music and talent is being put on a really high pedestal.

Your last statement is funny because I actually agree with it but the magazines are doing the exact opposite of what you are implying. They are putting these singers on a pedestal that it out of their league.

I dont see why artists cant strive to be THEIR best or be their OWN artist. It seems nowadays these artists have to be compared to past great artists to garner attention. They have to model and copy past artists which is partially the reason why they never grow as artists because there constantly being told they are "just like so and so" or "they are like a young so and so" I just think its disrespectful to those legendary artists because it waterdowns their talent and abilities.

Quote:
You are totally making that up lol. Produce this mysterious review and I shall see for myself with my own eyes.

Here is one of the articles where they compare him to Sammy Davis Jr
Justin Timberlake, Our Sammy Davis Jr. - Hampton Stevens - The Atlantic

Quote:
Why are you so concerned with what the average casual music listener thinks anyways? They take everything they consume at face value and leave at that. They won't notice little nuances and influences from other artists.
I am not concerned with casual listeners but you implied that everyone knows that Justin Timberlake is copying late 70s and early 80s artists on this new album and I disagreed and gave an example. There are some people that believe that what he is doing is original. It would be easy for a young casual music listener to think that (since artists like MJ, Stevie, Marvin Gaye,Earth Wind and Fire etc) are before their time.

Quote:
R&B is lumped into the Hip Hop section instead of the Soul/Funk section. Also, I see that you stumbled across the thread that someone posted in the pop section 3 years ago.
Yea Im glad I did because I was just about to make a thread on her. lol

Quote:
All artists can't all have as much label backing as everyone else. It's never going to be a level playing field. An artist should recognize this and just continue the make the music that they love whether they gain a large following from it or not.
I agree.

I just think its unfornate that the industry chooses to promote and market generic music instead of artists who make quality music.

Quote:
That's why we clashed, you are opinionated when it comes to music and I'm opinionated when it comes to everything even if I don't have strong arguments I still like to speak my mind and get out what I need to say.
Likewise. If you dont stand for something you'll fall for anything.
Soulflower is offline   Reply With Quote