Music Banter - View Single Post - Classic Albums I have never heard
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2013, 05:31 AM   #145 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Title: In the aeroplane over the sea
Artiste: Neutral Milk Hotel
Year: 1998
Chronological position: Second, and last
Previous experience of this artiste?: Not a sausage
Why is this considered a classic? No, I really want to know...

My thoughts
One minute (or thereabouts in) ---- Good, great, bad, meh, still waiting or other? Good
One track in --- Good
Halfway through --- Good
Finished --- Good

Comments: Everybody raves about this album, so it's one that got added to the list later on, and now here I am listening to it for the first ever time. The opening track is nice: I had no idea what to expect from this band but it's quite palatable for me at any rate. Some nice stuff though "Oh comely" goes on way too long and is as dreary as a wet weekend in Dublin, while "Communist daughter", less than two minutes, is a far superior track. That untitled one just before the end is good too, the instrumental one.

Favourite track(s): The king of carrot flowers, part one, In the aeroplane over the sea, Holland 1945, Ghost
Least favourite track(s): The king of carrot flowers, parts two and three, Oh comely

Final impression --- Good album but I'm not overly impressed really. Decent eclectic mix of instrumentation but both Passenger and the Waterboys do this thing so much better. I might listen to it again, then again I might not.

Do I feel, at the end, A) I wish I had listened to this sooner
B) I'm sorry I bothered
C) I might end up liking this
D) Have to wait and see
E) Bit underwhelmed; was ok but a classic?
F) Definitely enjoyed it, but again would I consider it a classic?

E I would say. Suppose that may change on repeated listens.