Music Banter - View Single Post - The Originality Thread
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2013, 06:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
duga
MB quadrant's JM Vincent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribbons View Post
On first hearing that track, it reminded me somewhat of the general tone and feel of Shuggie Otis's 1974 Inspiration Information album. Never heard Unknown Mortal Orchestra before, but the light-as-a-feather vocal delivery and laidback, funky, demolike production sound very much like Shuggie to me.

After listening to the UMO song, I Googled to find out more about them and found they actually recorded a tune titled "Shuggie Otis". So perhaps they really were influenced by him.

I never listened to Shuggie Otis before but I have to agree with you....it definitely sounds like he influenced them a lot. I think I'm going to check out more of him as well because that was pretty good. I'm listening to Inspiration Information now, in fact...pretty good stuff. I would say UMO sounds like if a modern acid-tripping version of Shuggie.

As for who I think inspired Shuggie, I think I can definitely compare him to Sly Stone. This particular album came out 7 years before Shuggie's Inspiration Information:

While this wasn't as successful and not nearly as pop-oriented as their later album, I think the Soul inspired side of Shuggie came a lot from these guys.

So, yeah...this is how the thread is supposed to go. Now someone tell me who inspired the Sly album.