Music Banter - View Single Post - We've got a major problem...
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2013, 12:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
duga
MB quadrant's JM Vincent

Default We've got a major problem...

This forum needs help. Badly.

Every new member that has something to contribute eventually stops showing up. There is nothing but drama. Some people like this...but I (along with many others) am not a dramatic person. I want to talk about music. Sure, I can go to the latest hipster blogs and find out what they think is good...but I came here because this site took things deeper. There were members here with a deep knowledge of music matched only by their passion for it. I would find 2 or 3 memorable albums I had never even heard of every time I logged on...minimum. Most of those members are gone.

The holdouts like myself and most of mod team along with those rare new members that for some reason are still around are stuck here wondering what to do. Wondering why this happened. This forum has turned into nothing but a drama filled cliquey bitchfest and frankly, it disgusts me. If I had just joined, I would have just left like all the other new members that take one look and turn the other way. But I'm invested. I remember how much I used to enjoy coming here. I would like to think there is something we can do.

This forum works best when there are equal parts members with a DEEP knowledge of whatever music they like best and inexperienced members ready to drink it up. The drama was there, sure, but drama fueled by passion for music is something I can tolerate. That dynamic is completely lost. This isn't just another cry for "waaah...this forum sucks now"...it has truly hit rock bottom. If the cliques continue NO ONE will want to join. So my question is...

How do we fix this? How do we attract those quality members without scaring them away?

And how do we get people who just like to stir **** up to shut the **** up?